Our Simple Journey of Faith, Family and Life

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Overnight Oats ~or~ Summer Porrage Recipe

I have never heard of such a thing, The thought of eating much less adding chia seeds to oatmeal was almost a yuk sound to my mind, then someone sent me the recipe from Pinerest and I read it and thought, well maybe I'll give this a try. I made this recipe "Overnight Oats ~or~ Summer Porrage it's called.

From Pepper Lynn
http://www.pepperlynn.com/2012/02/overnight-oats-two-ways/ .



I did NOT put mine into jars, instead I put mine into a covered bowl with lid. This morning, I smashed a sm. banana and added 2 Tbs. of "Simply Fruit jam" to it, then divided into 2 servings, put the lid on one and put it back into the refergator for tomorrow, and gobbled up the other bowl before I took a photo of both of them. I felt this recipe was enough for 2 servings. Wonderful flavor, Great texture, and very satisfying.


Overnight Oats ~or~ Summer Porrage {Lynn Pepper's Recipe}

Makes 1 large serving. (enough for 2 servings in our house)

½ cup rolled oats (not quick cooking)
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
2/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon chia seeds
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl or jar,
cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and allow
the mixture to sit in the refrigerator overnight.
In the morning, stir in the mix-ins of your choosing.


Variation #1 – Pumpkin Peanut Butter

½ cup pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon


Variation #2 – Strawberry Banana

2 to 2 ½ tablespoons strawberry jam (Simply Fruit Jam)
1 small banana, mashed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yummy Life Blog also has several recipes for this overnight oats recipe: check them out when you have a few extra minutes..
http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2012/03/293/Overnight%2C+No-Cook+Refrigerator+Oatmeal+--+A+healthy+breakfast+made+in+mason+jars+in+six+different+flavors%21

No comments:

Post a Comment